I make this pareve kugal for the Yom Kippur pre-fast meal because the noodles are a carbohydrate, and eating carbohydrates before the fast helps some people. I also removed the salt from the recipe to make it a more fitting pre-fast dish. I like to eat this after the fast too.
- 8 oz. (250 gm.) wide egg noodles
- 3-4 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups canned fruit pieces, well drained
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup or more cornflakes
Preparation:1. Boil noodles in a large pot according to the directions on the package.
2. Drain and rinse with cold water. Add beaten eggs, sugar, cinnamon, and fruit.
3. Place in a medium-sized, greased casserole dish.
4. Crush cornflakes slightly. Mix melted margarine and brown sugar. Add cornflakes to make a crumbly topping, and sprinkle evenly over kugel.
5. Bake, uncovered, for 1+ hours at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.