- FOR TART DOUGH:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 sticks unsalted margarine, chilled
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- FOR APPLE LAYER:
- 2 medium size green apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- one 9 or 9-1/2 inch fluted tart pan with removable bottom and 2 inch sides * see note
- FOR PUMPKIN LAYER:
- 2 eggs lightly beaten or equivalent in Eggbeaters egg substitute
- 1 1/2 cups solid pack canned pumpkin
- 1 cup parve milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons margarine, melted
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8-teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1/8-teaspoon salt
- FOR CRUMBLE TOPPING:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 Tablespoons softened margarine
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
Preparation:Make Tart Dough (Made in Food Processor)
1. Place dry ingredients in bowl of food processor with chilled margarine. Process until crumbly.
2. Mix egg and vanilla together and pour into mixture. Process until a ball is formed.
3. Wrap in plastic and chill for at least 1/2 hour before using.
4. Roll out the dough to about 1/8 inch thick.
5. To line the tart pan, roll the flour dusted dough around the rolling pin to help you pick it up. Avoid stretching the dough, which might shrink while baking. Lower the dough over the pan and unroll to cover. Use a small piece of extra dough wrapped in plastic to help push the dough to the edges of the pan, then press the dough up the sides of the pan. Use the rolling pan to roll over the top, to cut off any excess dough.
6. Preheat oven to 400 degrees to partially pre-bake the tart shell. Cut a sheet of aluminum foil about 2 inches larger than the diameter of the tart. Press it into the pastry shell and cover the entire crust. Fill it with pie weights (dried beans or rice). Bake until the rim of the shell feels just set to the touch, about 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven and carefully lift the foil and the weights from the crust. Prick the bottom and sides of the crust in several places with the tines of a fork. Return the shell to the oven. Check the crust several times during baking and prick again with fork if the crusts puff up. Cook until the crust is almost done but not completely browned, about 5 to 10 minutes longer.
Make Apple Layer
1. Toss apples with sugar, flour, lemon juice and cinnamon in medium bowl.
2. Place apple mixture in partially baked tart shell.
Make Pumpkin Layer
1. Combine eggs or egg substitute, pumpkin, parve milk, sugar, margarine, spices, and salt in medium bowl. .
2. Pour pumpkin mixture over apples. Gently shake tart pan to distribute pumpkin filling.
3. Bake in preheated 375 F oven for 30 minutes.
Make Crumble Topping
1. While the tart is in the oven, combine flour, sugar, softened margarine and walnuts in medium bowl with fork until crumbly.
2. When the tart is ready, remove from oven and sprinkle the crumble topping on top of the hot tart.
1. Return tart with topping to oven to bake for another 20 minutes or until custard is set.
2. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.
For a 10 or 10 1/2 inch fluted tart pan with removable bottom and 2 inch sides, make 1 1/2 recipes for apple and pumpkin layers and a double recipe for the crumble topping.