|Recipe for Potato Knishes print|
* Alphabet Soup: Jewish Family Cooking from A to Z, Solomon Schechter Day Schools, 1990. Adapted from Fanny's Potato Knishes (page 372).
2 cups flour
2 tsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. margarine, room temperature
1/2 cup warm water
3 tsp. oil
1/2 tsp. salt
3 potatoes, peeled
1 large onion, chopped
1/4 cup margarine
salt and pepper to taste
Blend together all dough ingredients. Roll dough out thinly.
2. Using a cup, cut dough into circles which are 2-3 inches in diameter.
3. Boil and mash the potatoes. Sauté the onions in margarine. Add mashed potatoes to the onions in the frying pan, and season with salt and pepper. Blend well.
4. Place 1 Tbsp. of the mashed potatoes in the center of each dough circle. Fold the dough circles closed and pinch the edges together.
5. Bake in a preheated oven at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.