Traditionally honey is one of the quintessential Rosh HaShanah foods. That being the case, I thought it would be fun to post a few honey "factoids" that can be shared around the Rosh HaShanah table (or in the classroom, for the teachers among us!).
These bits of honey trivia are courtesy of the National Honey Board:
- How many flowers must honey bees tap to make one pound of honey? About two million flowers, give or take.
- How far does a hive of bees fly to bring you one pound of honey? More than 55,000 miles.
- How much honey does the average worker honey bee make in her lifetime? About 1/12 of a teaspoon.
- How fast does a honey bee fly? About 15 miles per hour.
- How much honey would it take to fuel a bee's flight around the world? About one ounce (or two Tablespoons); no carry-on luggage is allowed!
Click here to read the National Honey Board's complete list of honey factoids and also to learn more about bees and varieties of honey.
Photo credit: Getty Images / Lauren Burke