1. Religion & Spirituality

How to Remove Wax from Your Hanukkiyah

By December 21, 2009

Now that Hanukkah is behind us I've received a number of emails asking: how do we get all this wax off our hanukkiyahs?! It's a valid question. Who wants to store away a waxy hanukkiyah or, even worse, unveil a wax-encrusted hanukkiyah when the holiday rolls around next year?

I have always used hot water to quickly and painlessly remove wax from my hanukkiyah, though I'm sure there are other methods out there. Here is how I do it:

1. Put your hanukkiyah in a large baking dish deep enough for the hanukkiyah to be submerged in water.
  2. Bring a pot of water to boil. Remove from your stove and allow the water to cool for a few minutes, until it's really hot, but not at boiling temperature.
  3. Pour the water over your hanukkiyah. Let it sit for a minute. Use paper towels to wipe off the melting wax. You can use a butter knife to scrape away any stubborn pieces of wax, but cover the knife with a piece of soft cloth first to avoid scratching the hanukkiyah.

If you have a hanukkiyah that isn't washable, I've heard that sticking it in the freezer will cause any remaining wax to become brittle and easy to peel off.

Do you have another method? Please share!

Comments
December 21, 2009 at 1:25 pm
(1) Laura Cowan says:

The best way is to remove wax from a Hannukah menorah Is to use a hairdryer! Heat the wax until it is soft and peel off or wipe off with tissues. if there is wax embedded in the candle holders heat until thecwax is almost melted and then clean with ear buds. This is the best way to clean a chanukiah that is made of a material that could be damaged by hot water.

December 21, 2009 at 2:56 pm
(2) raphael says:

Make sure that the wax is kosher and parve before you choose which vessel to use.You can pour boiling water from any pot into a deep plastc pail and immerse the menorah in there

December 21, 2009 at 5:31 pm
(3) Paola says:

Use a flame to clean the hanukkia, with a candle or a cigarette lighter :as wax melts dry it with a paper napkin, and that is all yuou have to do.

December 21, 2009 at 7:51 pm
(4) Ava says:

I put my Hannukia in the oven.
Afther I had used the oven for baking, and the oven is still warm (not hot) for about 10 min,I lay my Hannukia on a oven proof plate that is coverd with paper napkins,than you can clean (polish)your Hannukia, as the wax has melted on to the paper napkins.

December 21, 2009 at 9:48 pm
(5) Marylou says:

Before I used it, I spray my manorah or hannukyia with cooking spray, cleaning it is easy.

December 22, 2009 at 6:47 am
(6) Petra says:

I always use an ice cube which I run over the wax and it becomes really hard and peels off easily.

December 28, 2009 at 2:00 pm
(7) judith says:

The freezer works, but why not purchase dripless Chanukah candles?

December 29, 2009 at 5:58 am
(8) ariel says:

I always wrap mine in newspaper and stick it in a hot oven for about 15 minutes – the wax melts into the newspaper and the chanukia comes our shiney…

December 29, 2009 at 3:29 pm
(9) caryl says:

Put your Hanukkiyah in the freezer for 24 hours and the wax can be peel off immediately

January 4, 2010 at 10:47 am
(10) lucky bubes says:

A soft spray of WD40 prior to use then blow dryer wil;l do the trick for cleaning wax from the minora/chinukkia.

March 6, 2011 at 7:58 am
(11) Judaica Gifts says:

Thanks for sharing on how to clean ones Hanukkiyah
Appreciate it!

April 6, 2012 at 5:31 am
(12) Jewish Gifts says:

Cleaning my Hanukkiyah was always one of my favorite tasks. With your tips I am now a true expert! Thanks :-)